What is SciENcv?
SciENcv is a new electronic system that will enable researchers to easily assemble biographical information in order to simplify the work flow associated with federal funding. The system will interact with other biographical and network tools and it will help federal funders better describe the impact of the nation's scientific investments.
Goals of SciENcv
Initially, the goal is reducing the burden associated with creating and maintaining federal biosketches while accommodating the need to describe scientific contributions.
- SciENcv is a free, researcher-curated data repository that includes information on expertise, employment, education, and professional accomplishments
- Any researcher may register and create a SciENcv
- Researchers control the content of their profile and which data elements, if any, are made visible to the general public
- Users can directly import biographical information from existing federal and non-federal sources
- SciENcv data resides on a federal server within a secure environment
- SciENcv will initially generate biosketches in the format required for federal research applications but will eventually replace biosketch attachments with structured, fielded data
Beta Version of SciENcv:
Researcher may test the initial beta version of SciENcv that was released on September 9, 2013. The system will help researchers assemble an NIH biosketch by extracting information from NIH eRA Commons and PubMed. In addition, SciENcv will permit users to link the content of their profiles to a persistent, unique identifier offered by ORCID.
Future of SciENcv:
The ability to generate biosketches for other federal agencies will be built into future versions of SciENcv and additional utilities such as those shown below will be added:
- Generate and maintain multiple biosketches including those for NSF and other federal science agencies
- Describe the scientific impact of past discoveries
- Ingest data from additional external systems
- Control data exposure
- Transfer data to other systems
- Allow delegates to manage data
Feedback and suggestions from the research community is welcomed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I create a SciENcv profile?
Who developed SciENcv?
SciENcv is part of the My NCBI suite of tools. Anyone may create a My NCBI account using the instructions at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK154494/. Users have the option to sign in using third-party accounts (for example, an eRA Commons account, a local institutional account through InCommon, or a Google account).
SciENcv is a cooperative project requested by the Federal Demonstration Partnership, a coalition of research institutions and federal agencies. Seven federal science agencies, including DoD, DoE, EPA, NIH, NSF, the Smithsonian, and USDA, formed an interagency workgroup to develop the concept. SciENcv is being built by NIH's National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) under the direction of the workgroup, which operates under the aegis of the National Science and Technology Council's Research Business Models and Science of Science Policy Committees.
Interagency Researcher Profile Working Group Members